Sunday, August 26, 2012

Translating quirks

As with any language there are few words in Arabic that just don't translate very well to English. (I'm sure it's the same from English to Arabic but at my level in Arabic, I usually just think I haven't learned the appropriate word yet.) There may be an official translation in the dictionary but I'm finding that doesn't always cover the local nuances. As a result, these words have started to infiltrate my English speaking to the extent that I have to consciously omit them from my skype calls. So if you hear me using these words by accident, I do apologize:

1. Adi - I think I love this one because it helps me be indecisive about unimportant things or evasive if I don't want to answer a question in detail. The general meaning is of something ordinary or commonplace. In a shop if I say this to a shopkeeper's question it generally means: do whatever you normally do and that will be fine with me. Or when people ask me how life is here, but I can tell they really don't want an in-depth answer, the temptation is just to shrug and say adi meaning: It's just ordinary life with its usual ups and downs.

2. Yanni - The closest equivalents I can find in English are the expressions: "so-so" or "more or less that's the case". When I use this in answer to a question it usually means: Well, I could have hoped for better but it's okay. There always seems to be some implied doubt in the word. For example if someone asks me: "So, you have three lessons a week?" I would then reply "Yanni..." meaning: That may be what is planned but not what is actually happening. 

3. Hayk - This one basically means "that's the way it is." I end up using the negative (mosh hayk) a lot more frequently due to my status as a learner and the amount of comparisons I make in conversations. For example, I may ask someone "Mosh zaay hayk?" (Not like this?) if I am making an error or "Zaay hayk?" if I'm trying to figure out how to do something correctly. 

Anyway, there are plenty more but these are three big ones that always find their way to the tip of my tongue no matter which language I'm trying to speak in.

No comments:

Post a Comment