Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Street Commentary

As I've mentioned in previous posts, it's quite hard to remain invisible on the streets. When I was here three years ago I used to call days that I didn't receive comments "ghost days" because I would feel like a ghost walking the sidewalks. I also gave designations for the different guys loitering on the streets. There were the "mannikins" - I would be walking down the street past a shop and then after I passed, would realize that the figure I had mistaken for a mannikin was actually a person. There were also the "parrots", those who were persistently repeating their "hello, how are you?" mantra.

Now that I've learned some of the language, a whole new window of amusement has opened for me. It's one thing to hear people trying to practice their English on you (i.e. my new favorite: the guy who passed by me today just saying "walking, walking"... 

...I really don't know what that was supposed to mean but somehow he managed to make it sound smarmy. I tried very hard not to laugh.) 

However, now I also get to hear the things that they don't expect me to understand. It can range from a group of little boys telling me in Arabic to give them money, a simple greeting that they laugh about afterwards thinking I don't understand, and once when my friend was walking down the street with me, simply: Banaat. Girls. Why yes, I do believe that we are, thank you for noticing. I once overheard a conversation about my friend and I, where a girl was saying in a conciliatory tone, "Well, the second one is pretty," implying of course that the first was not. Fairly certain I was the first one as my friend was looking quite adorable. It made me grin.

Ah yes, and I have two more to add to my List of Nationalities:

11. "Hello, seƱorita!" - I was so tempted to pull out my high school Spanish for this one but I was a good girl and held my tongue.
12. Enti alemaniyye?  - I suppose there is a German university not that far away from my city but that's the first time I've been mistaken for German.



 

4 comments:

  1. It's interesting that people are generally friendly, or at least willing to converse with a stranger, over there. I have a feeling most visitors to the US probably find most Americans would rather ignore them than try to initiate a conversation.
    But I suppose that has to do with a general, if unspoken, sense of cultural superiority and probably more to do with Americans being used to other people looking different; thereby making it harder to tell who lives here and who does not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say it's definitely the latter reason versus the former. (It seems to me that historically when Americans think they are culturally superior they don't ignore, but try to "fix" the difference.) I also think most Americans don't feel like they have the time to spare for street conversations.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, next time you can be the adorable one and where the hat ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe... I don't think that would have made any difference whatsoever :)

      Delete